Grandparents’ Law in Child Custody Situations

grandparentsGrandparents generally do not have visitation rights to a grandchild independent of what their own child may have. However, there are circumstances where a person, who may be a grandparent, has created a child-parent relationship or an ongoing personal relationship that could support or justify the establishment of independent rights. If you’re a grandparent or other individual aside from the biological parent, it may be possible for you to obtain, in your own right, custody and or visitation rights with a minor child. Grandparents’ custody rights may vary by state. In Oregon, those who have maintained a relationship with the minor child may be able to establish visitation rights.

Can a Family Attorney Help Me Visit My Grandchildren?

A grandparent’s rights attorney who is well-versed in custody and family law, as well as having knowledge in psychological parents’ rights, can help. Often, it is best to resolve visitation concerns through mediation and not court proceedings. However, in both situations, a lawyer can help mediate or file a court order to obtain visitation rights. These situations are complicated and one should consult with a lawyer to analyze the specific situation and determine the best course of action.

Hobson / Oram Law

Hobson Oram Law