Will I Have to Pay Alimony if I get Divorced?

What Are The Guidelines For Spousal Support?

2 people upset about divorce or breakupIn Oregon, the term “alimony” is interchangeable with the term spousal support. Money is an understandable concern for couples ending their marriage, and one common question is “will I have to pay alimony if I get divorced?” There are three specific types of alimony or spousal support: transitional, compensatory, or maintenance. It is possible to pay one or more of the three types of support depending on your circumstances If you have been financially supporting your spouse, it is possible that you may have to pay alimony if you get divorced. Alimony is not automatically paid out; it must be negotiated or requested by the spouses before a court can order it.

How Long Do I Have to Pay Spousal Support?

The court determines the duration of spousal support. It can be temporary during the divorce proceedings, for a defined term, or indefinite. If circumstances change, either of the spouses can request a change to the terms. Relevant circumstances could include loss of a job or retirement of the payor; remarriage of the payee; changes to the payee’s income, or other life changes. It is up to one of the spouses to request a modification or termination with the court; the court does not automatically make changes.

How Much Does Paying Alimony Cost?

Alimony is usually paid on a monthly basis but can also be paid in a lump sum. The amount and the duration of support can vary depending on the particular facts and circumstances of your situation. There is no set formula or calculation to determine the appropriate sum and duration of the spousal support. Facts including the duration of the marriage, standard of living, if you’ve been supporting your spouse and his or her capability to earn an income are among the factors considered when determining the amount of benefits ordered. It is also important to consider the state and federal income tax implications of paying or receiving spousal support.

Hobson / Oram Law

Hobson Oram Law