Modifying a Parental Custody Plan to Get More Parenting Time

It is not uncommon for a parent to seek to increase their time with their children; particularly during a child’s adolescence. Parents without sole custody often ask how to get more child visitation time. As children age their needs change, and it is often appropriate to modify the parenting time arrangement.  Also with young children, a parent may receive less parenting time than would be appropriate for an older child; thus, with age it may be appropriate to increase parenting time. When both parties agree, this can be a simple process.

How to Modify Child Visitation Rights in Oregon

Can a lawyer get you more parenting time with your child? The answer is – maybe. If both parents agree to the new visitation schedule, then a lawyer is not necessarily needed, but could still assist you with preparation of the right paperwork to submit to the court. When parents disagree on visitation rights, a court case will be required to settle the disagreement. A family law attorney can help you build a strong case which will improve your chances of obtaining increased visitation rights and/or time. Generally, a strong case will need to be presented to the judge before a modification of visitation rights can occur. Because your child comes first in the eyes of the court, the judge will expect you to show that your request for extra parenting time is in your child’s best interest.

Things to Consider when Making your Custody Plan

Though there are some general guidelines, it is important to remember that every child is different, and create your plan with your child(ren) in mind. Most children can handle more time away from each parent by the time they’re school age, which allows for longer bouts of parenting time for both parents. It’s important to try to keep it as consistent as is reasonable, though, and try to give each parent as much time with the child as possible. Priority should also be given to the child’s schooling and extra-curricular activities to maintain a sense of stability and normalcy. Giving your child a calendar with the parenting plan and other activities can help them know what to expect, and giving them a chance to give feedback and responding accordingly can also help ease the transition.
girl on swing

Hobson / Oram Law

Hobson Oram Law