Changing Your Mind During Divorce: Can It Be Reversed?

signing paperwork for a divorce

If you’ve filed a petition for divorce or dissolution of marriage and are having a change of heart, it’s not too late to stop it. Typically, the person who filed the petition can go to the county clerk’s office to obtain the paperwork needed to stop the divorce process.

However, if the other party has already answered your petition, then they’ll likely need to assign the form as well. Once the necessary paperwork has been filed, the proceeding will be dismissed and you will still be considered married in the eyes of the law.

On the other hand, if you want the stop the divorce process but the person does not, then there’s nothing that can be done. The Oregon court system can’t force someone to remain married. At best, you may be able to delay the proceedings but this is generally not a good idea

For those who are dealing with a spouse who’s using delay tactics to draw out the divorce, a family law attorney may be able to speed things up.

Hobson / Oram Law

Hobson Oram Law